Objectives of the Communications section:
- Maximise opportunities for economic growth, competition and social inclusion by promoting investment into communications networks.
- Support small Irish business trade online by enhancing citizen engagement with digital technology.
- Promote, support and protect the media sector including television, digital, radio and print media.
- Provide relevant, efficient and regulated public service broadcasting.
- Ensure all Irish customers, enjoy a high quality, competitive postal service that satisfy the highest EU quality standards.
- View the Statement of strategy
Divisions within the Communications Section:
Business and Technology Division
The Business and Technology Division supports policy and develops legislation in the areas of;
- fixed networks,
- radio spectrum,
- broadcast networks,
- satellite, mobile and contract management.
Internet Policy Division
The Internet Policy Division is responsible for delivering;
- a national cyber security strategy,
- media merger guidelines,
- internet governance
- delivery of the Galway Mayo fibre project
- and the Emergency Call Answering Service (ECAS).
Telecommunications Policy and Regulatory Division
The Telecommunications Policy and Regulatory Division engages in the creation of policy at both a national and EU level. These policies are in relation to telecommunications issues. This also includes the National Broadband Plan.
It also deals directly with ComReg in relation to the national and EU regulatory framework for telecommunications.
National Digital Strategy and Telecommunications Market Contracts Division
This division assists with the implementation of the National Digital Strategy, which focuses on:
- enterprise (by assisting small and micro enterprises to trade online);
- citizens (by ensuring citizens and communities can reap the economic and social benefits of the internet);
- and education (by enhancing teaching and learning through greater use of digital resources).
They oversee the management of a number of broadband infrastructure projects and related telecommunications market contracts. These include Metropolitan Area Networks, Schools 100Mbps project and North South Telecoms project.
Broadcasting & Media Division
The Broadcasting & Media Division develops legislation to help with the provision of quality broadcasting services in Ireland. To optimise opportunities presented by emerging technologies for the provision of new Irish based broadcasting services.
The Postal Division develops policies that ensure all Irish customers, enjoy a high quality postal services at a competitive price. This division comes under the management of Governance and Operation.
The Eircodes Division is responsible for the management of the Postcode Management License Holder (PMLH) contract. This division comes under the management of Governance and Operation